Hamilton Beach Electric Can Opener
Sleek chrome & black design
Side cutting blade
Pair of scissors
Produce jagged edges
Cuisinart Deluxe Can Opener
Automatic shut-off feature
Capable of handling any can size
Removable activation lever
Oster Electric Tall Can Opener
Sleek stainless steel finish
Powerful magnetic lid holder
Built-in knife sharpener
Cord storage option
Kitchen Mama Mini Electric Can Opener
Most protable electric can opener
Manually switched off
Very easy to operate
2 AA batteries
Handy Can Opener: Automatic One Touch Electric Can Opener
Fast and easy way to open cans
Opener "walks" around can
Safely cuts from the side of the can
Powered by 2 AA batteries
Admit it or not, aging is a natural and inevitable process. In the first half of your life, you are young and capable of doing almost every physically demanding task. But during the second half (give or take a few years), you won’t even be able to do a menial task like opening a can with a normal can opener! And, to solve this particular dilemma of senior citizens, numerous companies have now come up with electric can openers. So, what makes the best electric can opener for seniors? This is what we are going to talk about in this article.
Apart from understanding the factors that help us zero down to the best electric can opener, we will also take a look at 5 of the market’s best can openers from which you can choose the best one for yourself or any senior citizen you know.
Factors to keep in mind to select the best electric can opener for seniors
Normal age-related limited abilities aside, old people face health problems like arthritis due to which they become weak and dependant. Hence, devices like electric can openers give them a sense of freedom and autonomy while doing day-to-day household chores.
But, there are a lot of similar-looking products out there with different features. So, the first thing is to know how to choose the best electric can opener for seniors.
Well, here are some of the important factors to make the process easier for you.
The first thing that needs to be decided is whether you want a portable electric can opener or not.
Do you want to go near the opener to get your work done or do you want it working where you want?
Generally, portable electric can openers are smaller in size and light-weight. Also, they run on batteries and do not have to be plugged in for every use. So, they can be used anywhere. Many of them also have a magnet which prevents the lid from falling off. And some even offer a safely hidden blade to prevent any accidental cuts and injuries.
You know what? To seal the deal, they are pocket-friendly too. Literally and metaphorically!
But, if you want a can opener that has a designated place on the kitchen platform and does not move here and there unnecessarily, you could go for the non-portable electric can openers. Though they are heavier, they are not much expensive and also have a design and finishing that matches any sort of kitchen décor. So, you can show them off even when you are not using them.
And they don’t even need any battery to start working!
Some of the heavy-weight electric can openers have a cord storage option. Using this built-in option, you can easily store the can openers away in your cabinets post their use.
Electric can openers come in a variety of colors. So, if you are color-specific and insist that you do not want your device to stand out like a sore thumb in your kitchen, this will be a factor you will take care of as well.
Many of the electric can openers also offer additional features like knife sharpening tool and bottle/jar opening tool. While the latter can be found in both heavy-weight and portable electric can openers, the first tool is generally offered by the heavy-weight can openers.
Another feature is the side cutting tool due to which metal filings from the edge of the can-lids will not enter the contents of the can. Hence, when you have an electric can opener that has this feature, you don’t have to worry about your grandma or grandpa eating metal-seasoned food.
- The material used for manufacture
The portable electric can openers are generally made of plastic and the heavy-weight openers are made of steel or stainless steel. Although, some parts of the latter might be made of plastic. So, do check wisely.
Anyway, as both types of openers are good at their job, choosing the best electric can opener for seniors based on this criterion is pretty insufficient.
- Removability & Washability of the cutting units
When we buy a product, we all hope it will last long. But, part of this long-lasting effect depends on how well we maintain it. And, an important step in maintaining an electric can opener is washing its units regularly after their use.
For that, the units have to easily removable. Only then can we wash them. But don’t worry. Most of the products have a removable blade or cutting lever that can be easily detached and washed.
But, the heavy-weight can openers with the side cutting tool don’t have to be cleaned as often because they do not directly come in contact with the food inside the can or the jar.
This feature stops the can opener after one round of cutting the lid. So, you don’t have to keep looking at the device until its work is complete so that you can manually switch it off.
Coupled with the magnetic lid holder, this feature could be useful to everyone (especially someone who is doing a lot of chores together).
So, when you are looking for the best electric can opener for seniors, do check if it has this option. It will be of great help to your old ones.
The above-mentioned points are more than enough to help you sort through the thousands of can openers available in the market. So, when all these factors are on your checklist and you give special attention to each of them, nothing can stop you from buying the best electric can opener for seniors and that too, at a reasonable price!
Next up, we have 5 of the leading electric can openers manufactured by 5 different brands to help you choose the best electric can opener for your dear ones.
The first electric can opener on this list is from the brand Hamilton Beach which is known for its remarkable, long-lasting, and reasonably priced products. So, let’s see what features this product packs.
- It has a fashionable and sleek chrome & black design that fits any décor.
- It is compact and has a cord that is long enough to easily function when placed on a countertop but not long enough to tangle and mess up.
- It uses the side cutting blade to prevent any spillage of food contents.
- It also has a pair of scissors at the back.
- It does not produce jagged edges on the lid and is hence safe.
- After connecting the cord to a power supply, just push the lever down for the blade to start working and pull the lever up to let the can loose.
- It does not produce a disturbingly loud noise while functioning.
- It is the best can opener for arthritis affected people.
The second product on this list is from a very popular home appliance brand named Cuisinart. It has many eye-catching features that make this appliance a favorite amongst the crowd.
- It is available in different price ranges with four colors to choose from – black, silver, stainless steel, and white. (the name of the model is different for each)
- This has an extra-wide base to prevent slipping or sliding.
- It also has an automatic shut-off feature.
- It packs a removable activation lever (to which the blade and magnetic lid holder are attached) for easy cleaning.
- This product is capable of handling any can size.
- Cord has a reasonable length.
- The product has a 3-year warranty.
The next product is from a well-known brand named Oster. This one is also recommended by many people due to its appearance and features.
- It has a sleek stainless steel finish that beautifies the countertop.
- It also has a powerful magnetic lid holder.
- It has a built-in knife sharpener at the back.
- It has a convenient cord storage option.
- It has a removable lever for easy cleaning.
- This product also has an automatic shut-off feature.
- It has a quiet and powerful motor.
- It also comes at a very reasonable price.
The fourth product on this list is a portable electric can opener that runs on batteries. Due to its compact design and functionality, this one has been a hit amongst its customers.
- It has an automatic shut off feature.
- It runs on 2 AA batteries (not provided by the seller).
- It is long-lasting.
- It works on a variety of can sizes.
- It is also very easy to hold.
- This is the best can opener for arthritis affected people. It requires minimum efforts to use.
- It does not leave behind sharp or jagged edges on the removed lid.
- It can be stored wherever you want.
The final one on this list is from the brand Kitchen Mama. It may be surprisingly small and compact but it does not compromise with its functionality at all.
Also, it has a lot of attractive features and is available at a great price.
- Extremely compact, portable, and can be stored wherever you want.
- Three cute colors to choose from – blue, red, and purple.
- They have to be manually switched off.
- It is very easy to operate and can be used by small children and seniors alike.
- It does not leave behind sharp edges on the lid.
- It is also very easy to clean.
- It works on 2 AA batteries. (not provided by the seller)
- It has a 1-year warranty.
Electric can openers are very useful for everyone. The manual openers are very tiring and cumbersome to operate for the young people, let alone the old with arthritis and other weaknesses.
Although every company offers a warranty and other promising features, there are a few tips which you should follow while handling can openers. These suggestions are for enhancing the long-lasting effect of these products.
- If you are operating the non-portable electric can opener, remove the power cord before removing or cleaning the parts.
- Clean the units regularly with hot soapy water.
- Handle the blades (if they are not secured properly) carefully because they are quite sharp.
These are the main things you need to keep in mind after you buy the best electric can opener for seniors so that it can last longer and simplify your chores.
These are the answers to a few commonly asked questions about the best electric can opener for seniors.
- How does electric can opener work?
Electric can openers are usually provided with an easily readable user manual that describes the entire process of its working.
An electric can opener has a blade that needs to be appropriately placed on the lid of the can. And then, you have to switch it on. The blade will automatically complete one rotation over the lid during which it will pierce it open.
- Where should I buy the best electric can opener for seniors?
Electric can openers can be bought from shops or e-commerce
websites. But, there are higher chances of fraud or dissatisfaction in the
latter. But the plus point the latter offers is that you can compare the
reviews about the products from worldwide users.
- What are the main uses and functions of an electric can opener?
The electric can opener was designed to reduce the pain that we have to go through while opening cans with manual can openers.
Also, many of these products offer a built-in knife sharpening tool, scissors, bottle opening tool, etc.